Ronald A. Krueck

Founding Principal | FAIA

Download CV Email
Ron Krueck was born in 1946 in Cincinnati, Ohio, where, in his early years, he was exposed to art in the local art museum and was encouraged to draw. He chose to study architecture at the Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago, where he was impressed with Crown Hall, designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. During the summers, while studying at IIT, Krueck traveled, thinking he could gain more architectural insights from seeing the world's great cities and monuments than from working. After he received his B.A. from IIT in 1970, Krueck took a job at the Chicago office of C.F. Murphy, now Jahn, and then with the office of Hammond Beeby. In 1975 he left the practice of architecture to study painting and drawing at the Art Institute of Chicago, until he opened his office with the commission of The Steel and Glass House in 1979.

The studio continues to be influenced by Krueck's interest in art, as well as by his early education in the Modernist doctrines at IIT. Krueck had worked with Mark Sexton for ten years when they established the office of Krueck & Sexton Architects in 1991. Krueck has taught at the Graduate School of Design at Harvard University, and at the Illinois Institute of Technology, a position he held until 2012. Krueck's built work has received numerous design awards, and his architectural drawings are in museum collections and have been exhibited in exhibitions worldwide since 1981. Krueck is active in Chicago's cultural affairs and serves on boards and committees of related interest. Krueck was elected to the Interior's Hall of Fame, as well as to the College of Fellows of the American Institute of Architects in 1992.

Other Team Members